On 31 July each year, Ipswich Historical Society holds a memorial service for the coal miners who died in the Box Flat explosion on this day in 1972. The service is held at the Box Flat Memorial on Swanbank Road, Swanbank, and begins at 10am. 2022 is the 50th anniversary of the disaster. A special weekend is being arranged for this milestone anniversary.
2. Unveiling of Mines Rescue Display at Llewellyn Motors (Mines Rescue Station Building), Brisbane St, Bundamba at 2.30pm to be followed by afternoon tea.
3. Dinner: Ipswich Turf Club, 219 Brisbane St, Bundamba. 6pm at Ipswich Events and Entertainment Centre building. Dinner will include an address by Minister Scott Stewart and others and the launch of a 3D virtual re-enactment of Box Flat by Mark Parcell.
2. Families to meet at Brother’s Leagues Club Car Park (20 Wildey St, Raceview) to depart by Coach at 9am for the trip to Box Flat Memorial site, Swanbank.
3. Service to commemorate 50th Anniversary of Box Flat disaster - 10am at Memorial site, 252 Swanbank Road, Swanbank. Light refreshments following the ceremony. The Memorial Circle will be initially allocated to family members so we would appreciate some potential numbers as Hugh intends to have virtual ticketed seating for the service.
Overflow friends and industry / community attendees will be catered for in a large Marquee nearby with seating and live streaming to screens in the Marquee.
4. Lunch at Brothers Leagues Club, 20 Wildey St, Raceview at 12.30pm for families.
Part of the service will be words spoken by family members. So if you or a family member would like to say a few words then please let Hugh Taylor know by email or telephone .
Hugh is also asking family members to write a few words about their personal experience of the Disaster.
The following questions are suggested as a guide: -
Who are you related to and how?
How did you find out about the Disaster and your relative’s involvement?
How did it affect you and your family, how did the family cope with the loss?
How does it affect you still?
If you know of a family affected by the Box Flat Disaster who might wish to attend, please share this information with them and ask them to contact Hugh.
A final program will be available closer to the dates.